Friday, February 14, 2014

I Used To Think...



I used to think that I have to adapt to people so they would like me better. Like I have to shape-shift in order to find friends. My life growing up was summarized through that thought. In junior high and high school, I tried so hard to fit in, so that I won't be labeled as an outcast. Yeah, that worked, but I would usually beat myself up for feeling such a wimp and forcing myself to be with people I really don't want to be with. I found myself being someone I'm not. Having "cool" friends won't make you happy.


On my last year of high school, I decided to just stop hanging out with them, period. That caused a little stir between me and my so-called "friends" when I started hanging out with the resident bookworm. But they let me be and started leaving me alone. At first, it hurt to endure their whispers and subtle teasing. But I never felt that free in my life as a teenager.


I learned to make friends without having to sacrifice myself. I learned that there are people who will accept me just the way I am. The best thing about having real friends is that even if they're few, you're truly happy with them, and you can be crazy with each other.


Good friends mean that you don't have to change yourself for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment